What techniques do we employ?
Every child is unique and will have a treatment program tailored to their needs after a physiotherapy assessment. We may use the following techniques in virtual and in-person treatment sessions:
- Cuevas Medek Exercises (CME)/MEDEK – CME/MEDEK is one of our primary physiotherapy treatment approaches at KCC. CME/MEDEK uses a series of exercises and handling techniques to provoke children’s automatic postural responses, build stability and increase body awareness in order to achieve developmental milestones.
- Neurodevelopmental Treatment (NDT) – NDT is holistic and dynamic treatment approach that applies individualized therapeutic handling based on movement analysis to support children achieve developmental milestones and functional independence.
- Litegait (Body weight supported treadmill training) and Treadmill Training – The LiteGait® system enables clinicians to control various factors such as weight bearing, posture and balance over a treadmill or over ground to work on ambulation, standing and play. It allows children with a wide range of impairments and functional levels to experience upright posture and explore their abilities safely.
- Seating Clinic & Equipment Prescription – Our on-site Assistive Devices Program (ADP) Authorizer can assess and prescribe therapy equipment such as walkers, standers and wheelchairs, in addition to applying for government funding for equipment.
- Parent coaching and empowerment – A key part of our program is to equip parents with the information, confidence and tools, including an exercise program, to support their child’s development through physiotherapy.
- Manual Therapy for orthopedic concerns – Specific targeted hands-on techniques may be applied to address orthopedic concerns like joint restrictions and scar tissue.
- Spider Cage – Also known as a Universal Exercise Unit; Using a series of pullies, bungees, ropes, weights, harnesses and slings, clinicians can train specific muscles and allow children explore movement safely.
- Therasuit ® – Therasuit® is a soft canvas suit with bungee-like cords attached to facilitate specific muscle activation, improve movement patterns, increase body awareness and much more!